Emma Kathryn

Emma is rather tiny and slightly mad. She welcomes you to her blog...

Saturday 9 July 2011

Real Work

Typing tonight.  Like a crazed looney tune.  Making up for a week's laziness.  I've made a deal with myself: if I get 3 stories typed up tonight then I can learn how to crochet.  I bought a book on Amigurumi last week and it's sitting in my room winking at me, trying to seduce me into skiving off and just making cootchy little creatures all night instead.  So instead, I will type up a handful of stories and then I can crochet to my wee heart's content.

Story that I've got sitting in a Word document under this page right now is a children's story called "Puddles", based on the Jasmine Becket-Griffith painting "Autumn Mermaid":

Image copyright Jasmine Becket-Griffith and taken from Jasmine's own site.  Really pleased with this story.  It's ridiculously cute.  Anyway, I'm a little chunk through it and here's a little taster for you:

As he turned to go back to the house, Jamie heard a splash, coming from one of the puddles.  An unchecked puddle, actually.  He looked over in the direction of the noise.  In his cold grip, the bucket was feeling much heavier now that it was full of water.  He really should be heading home now.  The puddle splashed again.  He had seen it this time, he definitely had.  Bucket down, wellies shlooped through the mud towards this uncharted puddle.  It wouldn’t hurt to investigate.  Would it?  He crossed the short distance to the puddle, stationed himself right over it and took a good look down...

Hope you like so far!!  This is no where near as dark as I usually go but it's sweet and mermaid-a-licious!

I've also put up July's free story - "A Pirate's Life for Me" - which originally appeared in Ethereal Tales (which is sadly coming to a close) and is part of my Vampire series: "Flashes Before her Eyes".  Enjoy!

Better go get typing now!  Nearly there!!!!

Lotsaluv, Em

Currently Listening to: Strange Boy by Kerli
Current Simple Twists of Fate word count: 60,262 words

No comments:

Post a Comment